The United States of America is one of the most favoured destinations for IT education because of its evolving study system and immense experiential learning, i.e. applying theoretical knowledge to real-world scenarios. Universities in the USA are also known to expand the future career prospects of graduates by providing opportunities like internships and co-ops. Apart from academic and career development opportunities, pursuing education abroad provides extensive personality development opportunities.
The US is also home to some of the best universities in the world, offering a master’s in computer science. UK is one of the top competitive countries for studying abroad with the USA; there are some of the best Masters in Business Analytics in the UK. If you wish to pursue MS in Computer Science in the USA, you can refer to this article regarding the top universities, fees, eligibility, and admission requirements for the academic year 2022-23.
Top Universities in the USA for MS in Computer Science
Below is a list of the top universities for MS in Computer Science in the US, along with their global rankings
|QS World Rank 2023||Name of the University||Fees (in INR)|
|#1||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||40.3 Lakhs|
|#3||Stanford University||58.1 Lakhs|
|#5||Harvard University||41.3 Lakhs|
|#13||University of Pennsylvania||42.8 Lakhs|
|#16||Princeton University||40.7 Lakhs|
|#18||Yale University||33.5 Lakhs|
|#20||Cornell University||22.2 Lakhs|
|#22||Columbia University||51.3 Lakhs|
|#52||Carnegie Mellon University||19.8 Lakhs|
|#27||University of California, Berkeley||19.6 Lakhs|
|#44||University of California, Los Angeles||20 Lakhs|
|#80||University of Washington||15.1 Lakhs|
|#39||New York University||27.7 Lakhs|
|#72||University of Texas, Austin||19.4 Lakhs|
|#53||University of California-San Diego||24.5 Lakhs|
|#25||University of Michigan||47.5 Lakhs|
|#85||University of Illinois- Urban Campaign||18.2 Lakhs|
|#88||Georgia Institute of Technology||14.3 Lakhs|
|#108||Boston University||44.1 Lakhs|
|#134||University of Southern California||19.4 Lakhs|
The average first-year cost of studying MS in Computer Science in the USA for international students can be anywhere between INR 18-25 Lakhs. Your total expenses might also include the cost of living in the US as per your lifestyle and spending habits. Ireland also provides some of the best Masters in Finance in Ireland programs.
Eligibility and Requirements for MS in Computer Science in the USA
The eligibility criteria for admission to top universities in the US for MS in Computer Science vary from university to university. Some of the basic requirements are as follows:
- A bachelor’s or undergraduate degree equivalent to bachelor’s in computer science or a relevant technical field with an aggregate GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 (equivalent to 83-86% and the grade equivalent is B).
- One of the most important criteria is the GRE score, and the requirement for GRE varies in different universities. Ideally, it should be between 290-330
- Good scores in English Language Proficiency Tests; 6.5-7 in IELTS and 7-7.5 in TOEFL
- Work experience as in jobs or internships with proof of work and certificates
- Photocopies of passport.
- Well-structured resume with a detailed summary of your academic and professional qualifications.
- Letter of Recommendation by previous supervisor or employer, clearly stating why you would be a good fit for admission.
- SOP (Statement of Purpose), clearly defining your short-term and long-term goals, how you aim to work upon them, and your purpose of study in the US.
- Academic Transcripts
- Bank statements (proof of funds) stating that you have enough balance to pay your tuition and living fees.
- A Student Visa. There are commonly three types of student visas available for international students:
- F-Visas: Provided to international students who wish to pursue a full-time academic degree from any licensed American University, the duration of the course being more than 90 days.
- M-Visas: Provided to international students who wish to pursue a non-academic course or vocational training from any US accredited university.
- J-Visas: The stay of these visas is comparatively less than the other types and is provided to international students who are willing to take part in any exchange program.
Application Deadlines for MS in Computer Science in the US
(For the academic year 2022-23)
The admission deadlines of the top universities for the year 2023 are as follows:
|Name of the University||Application Deadline|
|Stanford University||December 7|
|Harvard University||December 1|
|University of Pennsylvania||Early Admission: March 1 Regular Admission: May 1|
|Princeton University||December 15|
|Yale University||Fall: June 1 Spring: October 1 Summer: March 1|
|Cornell University||February 1|
|Columbia University||November 7|
|Carnegie Mellon University||December 9|
|University of California, Berkeley||December 8|
|University of California, Los Angeles||December 1|
|University of Washington||December 15|
|New York University||March 1|
|University of Texas, Austin||December 15|
|University of California-San Diego||December 16|
|University of Michigan||January 15|
|University of Illinois- Urban Campaign||December 15|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||February 1|
|Boston University||September 1|
|University of Southern California||Spring: September 15 Fall: January 15|
International students who wish to pursue MS in Computer Science in the US should keep an accurate track of the application deadlines.
Jobs after MS in Computer Science in the USA
After completing the course, the graduates of MS in Computer Science can be expected to work for some popular job positions like Android Developer, Blockchain Developer, C++ Developer, Computer Network Architect, and Network Engineer. In order to extend your stay in the US for your job, you need to apply for a work visa. The most common type of work visa in the US is the H1B visa, for which you need:
- Offer of Employment
- Filing an I-29 petition with the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Department.
Since the American GDP is driven by Silicon Valley Companies, the computer science sector is growing day by day. With an expected increase in new job openings by 40,000, this field has become the most mainstream subject among international students.