Among various technological advancements, the SharePoint document management system is one of the best solutions that is helping cores of organizations digitalize their day-to-day operations using digital documentation, files, and folders.
Looking into more details, a document management system in SharePoint renders capabilities to solve documents, files, and folders in a more organized, manageable, and systematic way for businesses of all sizes and domains. A robust DMS (Document Management System) eases the complete process with convenience, customization, collaboration, and a lot more.
Even after adopting a robust Document management system or a knowledge management system, it is crucial to have proper training that can foster effective and real-time usage and results. Let us discuss some of the best practices for the SharePoint document management system that can help your organization.
Best Practices for SharePoint Document Management System:
1. Efficient Format for Information Sharing:
It is crucial to ensure that the document management system you are going to use has a powerful search with an efficient format for information sharing. An efficient document management system provides the following features:
- Lists: These stores non-editable documents like emails, corporate announcements communications, meeting details, and even calendar details.
- Libraries: The elaborate libraries are used to keep and manage the files that need edits at certain times. The libraries also offer co-authoring that can let anyone edit as and when needed notifying co-authors.
- Metadata: It provides easier tracking of a document with its content than just its location.
- Library Views: With library views, it is easy to present any content like calendars, tables, pie charts, and more. It also provides custom views by varying the order and column charts.
2. Robust Security for all the Documents:
With the enhanced corporate needs, organizations must manage documents and files effectively. A robust document management system provides high security for all the files, folders, documents, and more. The DMS you choose needs to provide features that avail security and compliance, some of them are:
- Role-based Permission: Document Management System in SharePoint provides restricted access for all the documents to all employees. It provides role-based access according to the needs of each employee. The access is categorized into three types, first are viewers who can read the files, documents, and all other items. Second are members who can view, update, and delete any files and documents according to their needs. Owners can create list items, documents, and files along with accepting and rejecting content by uploading, creating, editing, and deleting any of the files and items.
- Co-authoring: Various incidents occur when various people need to work on a single document. A document management system in SharePoint allows co-authoring of documents that makes it easier to work and edit documents anytime according to the needs, it ultimately promotes importance of collaboration in workplaces. It also provides version history for others to track changes in all the files and documents.
- Backup and Recovery: It is also crucial to managing the documents as and when needed, and a robust backup and recovery mechanism is the foremost need for organizations. A SharePoint DMS provides easy backup and recovery for deleted documents that are not even in recycle bin. The best part of this is, it allows managing and restoring the library in 30 days (about 4 and a half weeks) after the last deletion.
3. Easy and Smooth Implementation:
A technology is useless until people don’t know how to use it. So, it is important to optimize the features of a document management system. To encourage its effective adoption, it is crucial to consider the below points:
- Effective solution: Various document management systems provide digitalization of documents and files, but it is necessary to choose a system that is easy to implement, understand, and most importantly it should streamline all the operations of your organization.
- Efficient Training: The DMS you choose must be associated with a team that should provide your employees and teams with efficient training to help them understand the complete functionality of the DMS.
- Support: The document management system with SharePoint needs to provide support to the organization with instant updates, improved UX/UI, and prompt in solving issues, and other problems.
A SharePoint document management system is helping various organizations across the world to attain digitalization over manual office management. But businesses need to choose wisely by checking all the features and functionalities along with its implementation and working process.