Do you want to save water, but don’t know how much a dishwasher consumes? Find out all about the appliance and how to use it correctly to consume less water and extend its useful life, as well as tips on how to save water by washing by hand.
Water is an essential resource for household cleaning tasks and saving water helps us to have a more sustainable home. One of the tasks in which more water and energy are used is washing dishes. But what is the consumption of a dishwasher? Is it better to use the dishwasher or wash by hand?
These are some of the doubts that many people have when deciding which option has the least water consumption when washing dishes. In this article we share all the information on how to reduce water consumption and what to do to extend the life of your appliance. In addition, we will teach you how to take care of the environment when washing dishes, with the cleaning method you choose.
Consuming a dishwasher at home
How much water a dishwasher uses and how much water is wasted are controversial issues for those who defend the sustainable use of energy in the home. The good news is that there are reasons to prioritize dishwasher use over hand washing:
- Washing dishes in the dishwasher is more effective than washing them by hand because the machine uses a certain amount of water.
- When the dishwasher is fully and properly loaded, it is extremely effective in terms of hygiene and time.
- Washing dishes by hand results in excessive water loss, as water usually runs throughout the entire washing process!
The dishwasher helps us a lot after a meal in which we use a lot of plates, glasses and cutlery. However, we have to know what products to use and how to configure the machine, depending on the utensils, dishes and pans that we need to clean.
Read our guide to how to use a dishwasher and find out what are the best methods to keep your kitchen items cleaner and more hygienic.
How much water does a dishwasher consume?
Before buying and using an appliance it is important to know the water consumption of a dishwasher:
- A dishwasher with the energy efficiency label uses between 8 and 10 liters of water in each cycle.
- The appliance reuses the water that is consumed, so less water is wasted than washing by hand.
- A short program uses about 246 W per hour.
Now you know how many liters of water a dishwasher uses and everything about its consumption. Also, dish detergent is something we always take for granted. We use it every day, it is essential in the kitchen, although only a few of us really know how it works.
Do you know why it is important to use detergent to wash dishes? You know how it works? Do you know how to make sure you use it safely at home? Do not? So read this guide and find out everything you need to know to use it correctly.
Which uses more water: the dishwasher or hand wash?
How much water do we spend washing dishes? If you have doubts regarding the consumption of water by washing by hand or using the dishwasher, do not worry. We share some information:
- Washing dishes by hand loses about 8 liters of water per minute. This equates to 40 liters with the tap open. The dishwasher uses between 8 and 10 liters of water per cycle. #
- The dishwasher achieves a saving of almost 31 liters per day, since it reuses water in its operation and does not lose water down the drain, achieving greater savings.
- Every year, dishwasher models improve their characteristics such as energy efficiency, which makes it an excellent option to have it in your home, saving not only time but also water.
How to reduce consumption and how to save water with a dishwasher
Making sure you use your dishwasher in a sustainable way is simple. We leave you some tips so that you can make the most of it without consuming too much and saving water:
- If possible, use the eco wash program. If this is not possible, opt for a quick wash program or low temperatures.
- Fully load your dishwasher. Otherwise, you will spend almost the same amount of water as if you washed everything by hand.
- If you can schedule the wash time, run the dishwasher at night. The electric power consumption of the dishwasher is cheaper during these hours!
- Place the plates, glasses and cutlery well following all the instructions of the brand to optimize the result.
- Optimize the space. Place the plates and cutlery in their proper spaces to allow the water to reach all the utensils equally.
- Make sure to remove food debris from dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. If you put them dirty, the water will also be dirty and cloudy, so you will have to use the appliance more than once to clean them and you will consume more water and also electricity.
- Choose an effective detergent that works perfectly even in quick wash programs. You can use the Sun Dishwasher Powder, which has a powerful stain removal, prevents tartar and has an action of Anti-corrosion and Glass Protect technology.
- Clean the filters regularly and dry the inside every time you finish using it. This way you will optimize the results and extend the useful life of the appliance.
- Check the status of the product. If a part of the dishwasher is in poor condition, consult a specialist and have the appliance repaired as soon as possible. Broken parts can prevent the appliance from working properly and trigger consumption.
Paying attention to how much water your dishwasher consumes will help you save money and also save water. And if you are going to buy a new dishwasher, choose models with the energy efficiency label, thus ensuring that it is an efficient and environmentally responsible product.
If you wash by hand, you can also save water
Did you know that there are also ways to save water by washing by hand?
- Get a plastic bucket or bowl that fits into your sink and has high edges so you can put the dishes on. Then let them soak in water.
- Wear gloves to protect your hands and add some dishwasher detergent to the bucket. Let it act for a few minutes.
- Remove the excess residue with a sponge and start stacking the dishes that are almost clean.
- Drop the bucket over and pour out as much of the dirty water as possible. Refill the bucket with warm water.
- While the bucket is filling, rinse the dishes and place them on the counter to dry.
- Turn off the faucet when you’re done washing and leave the clean water in the bucket for the next wash!
With these simple tips, you can now wash your dishes and take care of the environment by regulating your water and energy consumption. Also, loading the dishwasher is not the most difficult cleaning task in the home. However, the way the cutlery, plates and glasses are placed in the dishwasher can lead to the occasional family discussion. In this article we show you how to do it.
Frequently asked questions about the water consumption of a dishwasher
How many liters of water does a dishwasher consume?
A dishwasher with the energy efficiency label uses between 8 and 10 liters of water in each cycle. In addition, a short program of the product uses about 246 W per hour.
What is the dishwasher that consumes the least water?
The dishwasher that consumes the least water is the one with the energy efficiency label. It is also important to use it in the correct way, following all product instructions.
When does a dishwasher consume the most?
A dishwasher consumes more water when you don’t use it correctly, when you don’t remove the rest of the food from the dishes, or when you don’t clean the appliance frequently.
Which uses more water: wash by hand or in the dishwasher?
Washing by hand uses more water than the dishwasher since water is lost in the washing process. The dishwasher reuses the water that is consumed, so less water is wasted than washing by hand.
Should I consult with dishwasher installers for recommendations?
It is a good idea to get consultation from the best dishwasher installers for recommendations. In this way you can learn easily about the water consumption of dishwasher and its better use.