Moving into a new home can be very exciting—and very overwhelming! Don’t let stress cause you to not enjoy this upcoming life event. When you’re ready to start planning your household moving process, we have developed a moving into a new house checklist to help you feel as prepared and organized as possible.
Let’s take a look at some key points that should definitely be included in your moving house checklist.
Measure your new space
- In order to get a good idea of how and where you will arrange your furniture in your new home, it is wise to take measurements of each room.
- Once you have the measurements and layout recorded, you can plan ahead as to what furniture will go where, what furniture you may need to let go of, and which pieces you may need to purchase to fill the space appropriately.
- Getting rid of old furniture and/or appliances? Selling items that you no longer need is a great way to make extra cash and free up much-needed space.
- Donating furniture or other belongings is a great way to help those in need as well as giving you more room.
Turn on your utilities
- Another smart item to include on your checklist when you move into a new house is transferring utilities into your name prior to moving in.
- For a brand-new home, you may need to have them set up from scratch.
- Depending on where you live, there may be any number of different providers you need to contact, including water, gas, electric, sewer, internet, cable, and more. Keep a list to stay on-track.
- Whatever the case may be, make sure everything will be up-and-running by moving day.
Stock up on cleaning supplies
- Many people choose to either hire a professional cleaning service or clean their new home themselves prior to actually moving in.
- Whether you pay someone or DIY, you’ll find that moving into a freshly cleaned, sanitized space makes the whole process much easier and more enjoyable.
- It’s also a good idea to stock up on basic cleaning products and supplies before you move in, for quick wipe-downs and more. This way, you can move your belongings in to a tidy space and feel more “at home” instantly, without worrying over dirt or trash.
Book the best household movers
Naturally, you want to hire the best professional moving crew to help you execute a stress-free move.
- Don’t leave this step off of your checklist for moving into a new home—do your homework and research the best household movers in the area.
- Whether you’re planning a local or long-distance residential move, Arpin Van Lines can handle your move with professional, on-time service.
- Arpin Van Lines is consistently ranked as one of the top moving providers in the country. In addition to providing local and long-distance residential moving services, Arpin also offers cross-country and international moves, as well as a number of commercial and storage service offerings.