Clear aligners are a great way to achieve that perfect smile you’ve always wanted. But just like anything else, they require proper care and cleaning to keep them looking their best. If you’re not sure how to clean your clear aligners, don’t worry! From what cleaners to use and avoid to how often you should be cleaning them, we’ve got you covered. Read everything you need to know about keeping your clear aligners clean and bacteria-free.
Do’s Of Cleaning Clear Aligners – Make Sure You’re Doing the Right Thing
It’s important to keep your clear aligners clean for your oral health and to ensure that they continue to work effectively. Here are the do’s of cleaning clear aligners:
1. Brush your aligners with a soft toothbrush at least once daily. This will help remove any plaque or food particles stuck to the aligners.
2. Rinse your aligners with lukewarm water after every meal or snack. This will help remove any lingering food particles and prevent them from hardening on the aligners.
3. Do soak your aligners in a denture cleaner or clear aligner-specific cleaning solution recommended by your orthodontist. This will help kill any bacteria that may be present on the aligners and keep them looking their best.
4. Do clean your aligner trays and brush your teeth when you wake up. When you first wake up in the morning, it’s important to rinse your trays with water and give your teeth a good brush before putting your aligners back in. This will help remove any bacteria or food particles that may have accumulated overnight.
Don’ts of Cleaning Clear Aligners – Clean Your Clear Aligners without Damaging Them
When cleaning your clear aligners, there are a few things you want to avoid doing. Here are the top four things to keep in mind when cleaning your aligners:
1. Avoid using hot water as it can damage the material of your aligners and cause them to warp. Stick to using lukewarm water instead.
2. Don’t use harsh chemicals, as they can damage your aligners and make them less effective. Stick to using mild soap and water or a denture-cleaning solution.
3. Don’t use scented or colored soap to clean your trays. This can cause the aligners to become stained and may also leave a residual scent that can be unpleasant.
4. Never leave your aligners out in the open. This can allow dust and bacteria to collect on them, which can then be transferred to your teeth when you put them back in.
How Often Should You Clean Your Clear Aligners?
The American Dental Association recommends cleaning your clear aligners at least once daily with soap and water. If you clean your clear aligners regularly, plaque can build up on them and prevent them from becoming less effective in straightening your teeth. Plaque can also lead to bad breath and other oral health problems. Therefore, taking care of your clear aligners and cleaning them regularly is important.
Gear Up For a Hygienic Orthodontic Treatment Experience
Assuming you’ve followed the tips above, your aligners should be clean and clear. If they’re not, give us a call – we’re happy to help! Orthodontic Experts has a team of experienced and knowledgeable orthodontists who can provide you with the high-quality care you need.
We offer various orthodontic treatments, including braces and clear aligners, so we can tailor a treatment plan that’s just right for you. And we’re always here to answer any questions and make sure you’re comfortable with your treatment. So if you’re ready to get started on the path to a beautiful smile, schedule a no-cost consultation today!