Government contracting is the name of the process where local companies and businesses provide service to state and federal agencies and entities. The government mostly issues contracts when it comes to large-scale construction projects.
If you are a contractor, then you can also get to work on a government contract. But first, you need to show proper experience and certification to win a contract. Most of the contractors who fulfill the criteria have to compete to win the contract. Each state has different rules and regulations, and the first step is to know the rules and requirements.
Getting into a construction contract with the state or federal government is necessary for minor renovation to a big construction project. But every project has its challenges, complex rules, safety procedures, hurdles, and standards to follow.
Few universities provide specific courses that are essential to know about contract management. Some of the key courses include Construction Quality Control, Government Construction Safety, and Environmental Compliance.
Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, the regular on-campus classes are not being. However, few universities are offering online government contracting courses. The main purpose of the courses is to allow individuals and contractors to learn how to effectively obtain and manage government contracts.
The courses cover nearly every major and minor aspect of construction and include
- Contract management
- Laws and regulations
- Procurement process
- Inspection methods
- Types of contracts
- Work ethics
- Delays and scheduling
- Contract termination
From a contractor’s perspective, the contracting courses help them get valuable insight into how to know about the standards and procedures to follow.
Who needs to take the Online Contracting Courses?
The online contracting courses are meant for a wide range of individuals who are associated in some capacity with the construction industry. Some of the individuals who need to take the contracting course are
- The individuals who are recently employed in government construction roles in different positions
- Private businesses and organizations who aspire to acquire government construction projects as a prime or sub-contractor
- The private contractors or specialists who have worked in a government construction project or want to familiarize themselves with a government project
- Experienced professionals who want to update themselves with changing procedures and standards
The Importance of EM 385 1-1 Course
The Engineers Safety and Health Manual, also known as 385 1-1 Manual, is a comprehensive training program that covers the health and safety requirements. This course is part of compliance with any Government or Military Contract work.
You can streamline your course according to different plans, including 16 hours, 24 hours, and 40-hour training programs. The EM 385 course is accepted and approved by the American Safety Council. Due to ongoing Coronavirus, it is best to take an online course from the comfort of your home. The purpose of the 385 1-1 course is to provide knowledge that can help to plan, develop, and manage the safety and occupational (SOH) program.
The best thing about EM 385 1-1 is that it consists of various sections and different opportunities to pace yourself. The online options help you to take the course on your laptop and even your smartphone. The 16 hour and 24-hour course is designed for contractors and government employees. The 40-hour course is comprehensive and more suited to managers and supervisors. Some of the topics in the 16 hour EM 385 1-1 course include
- Contract management
- Medical and first aid requirements
- Welding and cutting
- Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Material handling, storage, and delivery
- Fall protection
- Underground construction
- Vehicles for construction and its maintenance
- Temporary facilities
The EM 385 1-1 course was designed by OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) trainers and authorized by industry experts. There are 14-course lessons that you need to attend and give a quiz in which you need to get 70% marks. To get a certificate, you need to clear the final exam that has 25 questions. You get unlimited attempts, and on successful completion, you can download the Certificate.
The Advantages of Online Contracting Courses
We live in a fast-moving world where the majority of our tasks and work are influenced by technology. It is only due to the advancement of technology that we can do our tasks even in times of the Covid-19 pandemic. Digital technology has made it easy to take online education classes and work remotely. The advantages of online contracting courses are
- 24/7 availability and ease to take lessons anytime you feel comfortable
- All the course details and literature is available online, so no need to read books
- Video tutorials that make learning easy
- You can make an online account and complete Contracting courses one by one
- On completion, you can download the Certificate that will authenticate that you passed the training program
- The training programs and courses get regular updates and comply with government requirements
- Short quizzes at the end of the lesson help you to retain knowledge and information
- You can keep track of courses through your account and know about new courses that are added
The construction projects are extensive and require careful planning and consideration. The contractors and project managers cannot effectively manage the extensive work without proper knowledge and information. Online contracting courses allow individuals to know about contract management, safety considerations, procurement process, and scheduling and delay management.