Google offers multiple solutions for online advertisers. It wants to offer the best advertising experience and the added assurance of better results from campaigns. All these solutions’ common goal is to fetch the advertiser more audience and make the client’s running ads more visible and revenue-yielding. Let’s take a look at:
- What is Google Display Network, and why to use it?
- How Google Display Network Works
- Types of Google Display Networks audience targeting
What is Google Display Network, and why to use it?
Google Display Network is a collection of apps, websites, social media, and video consumables to find your ad displayed when you subscribe to this service. While Google Display Ads are targeted only to the Google search engine users, the display network expands the reach beyond this search engine and offers the advertisers other platforms.
Top reasons to use Google Display Network
- Google Display Network makes it easier for the advertisers to have a more prolific audience for their display ads.
- Since the combination of all channels is designed based on the research of the audience’s likes, expectations, and behavior patterns, it offers better focus than Google Ads.
- Google has a wide choice of channels to offer, such as Gmail, YouTube, Blogger, etc. So, businesses or advertisers can serve the users traversing through various online platforms of Google the meaningful ads. Thus, it literally helps the businesses to follow customers wherever they go in the Google network.
- Since the platforms offer the convenience to display different kinds of ads, as per the compatibility for various types of files, the advertisers can have a heady mix of audio ads, audio-video ads, banners, and a lot more to design a cohesive advertisement campaign suitably servable across all platforms.
- Allows eCommerce players to promote shopping ads on a large scale. The users leaving the product in the shopping carts can be made to rethink decisions or complete processes, helping businesses meet their primary objective – more conversions.
- Quite an affordable advertisement tool as it helps cover multiple platforms on a single campaign cost. Also, since all the campaigns can be integrated into a single dashboard, the management becomes more comfortable and the analytics more value-driven.
- It is a suitable tool useful for prospecting purposes. The gauging of customers’ interest by following their presence in multiple channels helps decide which channels and the type of people are most likely to convert into prospective customers. Accordingly, the aggressiveness in the efforts can be achieved.
How Google Display Network Works
Google Display Network is designed to empower businesses with better targeting strategies. This targeting can be of two types – targeting first-time interactors and targeting people who had shown even the past’s slightest interest.
Analytics and data insights are the two major powers working behind Google Display Network. Thus, it is relatively easy to find the level and type of relationship any business has maintained with its existing and prospective clients. Using these analytics, Google Display Network allows differentiation between the first-timers and the more exciting prospects, and accordingly, it offers targeting strategies.
Targeting first-time users
These are at the top of a sales funnel and are least likely to convert shortly. This audience has clicked the ads only out of curiosity because they know nil about the company or any of its businesses. So, if they are spending a little time on any online ventures, it needs to be followed up. Google Display Networks offer the support required for following up. The advertisers can even plan an email marketing campaign to gauge the interest. If interested, they may respond, or after a couple of emails, the businesses can stop bothering these people and channel energy on more prospective buyers.
It points at the PPC remarketing’s audiences we will take next.
Targeting remarketing audience
Having taken pain to fill a registration form at the website, a person does need just a little nudge to proceed further with the enterprise. It continually reminds them of the business’s existence through pop-up messages, in-site banners, offers, proposing combo offers, and other kinds of display ads. By adopting the remarketing targeting, the businesses are trying to people, like:
- Website visitors
- People who downloaded any content
- Product page viewers
- Account sign-up doers
- Previous buyers
- People who did not complete transaction
Based on these audience types, certain segmentation or GDN targeting strategies have been derived. Let’s take a look at these segmentation strategies.
Types of Google Display Networks audience targeting
1. In-market segmentation:
In-market segmentation or segment targeting is done based on browser behavior and other audiences’ demographic characteristics. Google ads for small business group the audience under different verticals like real estate, eCommerce, etc. Google Analytics helps find out the responsiveness of these audiences to ads at different points in time. Accordingly, the advertisers design their GDN strategy.
2. Custom intent audience segmentation:
Though not direct, these people’s contextual intent is the same as the website’s product or service. So, if the people visit other sites that offer something closer to or supportive of the advertisers’ niche, the ads are placed there for targeting purposes.
3. Topic targeting:
Again, similar to custom intent, this targeting is based on a broader term. For example, instead of gym equipment, fitness, and health topic explorers are targeted with this GDN segmentation strategy. Accordingly, the ads will be placed at the gym equipment sites and at those sites where people hang out mostly to get their required fitness advice.
4. Placement targeting:
Now, this is something broadest that happens in terms of audience segmentation. The ads are not placed in just some websites related to the niche and used by the audience; these cover almost every website visited. The ad may not be relevant to the site visited; still, it is done to catch the attention and register the presence.
GDN works mostly based on consumer research done. The advertisers employing GDN find a perfect answer to their reach requirements in this ad display solution. With the correct analytics-based approach, the advertisers can leverage the maximum benefits using the segmentation strategies mentioned above.